The Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery are concerned with all special procedures of the Heart, Lungs, Oesophagus and other organs in the chest. Consultants with the assistance of well trained staff perform life saving surgeries.
The main areas of cardiothoracic surgery are:
- Adult cardiac surgery
- General thoracic surgery
- Congenital cardiac surgery
- Heart and Lung transplant surgery
- Monitoring patients in intensive care is a vital part of the work we do.
Apart from performing surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgeons are involved in the treatment and management of the many different conditions within their specialty. This involves attendance at outpatient clinics, multi-disciplinary team meetings and ward rounds.
Some of the procedures we perform:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery – restoring blood flow to the heart by bypassing the narrowed coronary arteries.
- Heart valve surgery – repairing and replacing narrowed or leaking heart valves.
- Aortic surgery – replacing an enlarged or damaged blood vessel leaving the heart.
- Surgery for injuries of thorasic organs.
- Surgery of Oesophagus.
- Surgery for mediastinal masses.